Friday, January 30, 2009

The Love Story Continues

I always really like Fridays. Not just because I don't have class and Thursday nights generally involve free onion rings and chips (potato wedges) at the Primary, but because so far it's the only day of the week I can guarantee I'll have the chance to go for a run.

First, being able to run outside in January and not be completely bundled in under armor, sweats, gloves, and an ear warmer is AMAZING. And (most of) you know that working out and I are practically engaged (though it's a love-hate situation). But the best part has honestly been that this city is just really runner friendly. There's this botanic garden down the hill a ways from my flat, and I like to run through there because there are fewer people and it's just a lot prettier. Every time I go I find a new path to take and come out in some new part of the city. This afternoon I discovered what looked like the foundation of an old building right next to the river (the Kelvin), which was really cool. My Friday runs will hopefully expand into a few other days of the week, once I really get my life figured out. It's probably how I'm going to get to know my neighborhood the best. At least the part of it that the security guards haven't told me is unsafe to visit.

The only problem with Fridays is that my flat is super quiet and it gets awfully lonely. I see a few people around breakfast time, but other than that everyone does their own thing (or sleeps in really late). I've been thinking a lot about how happy I was in my set up at Middlebury, with the two room double. That way, you still have your own room, but there's someone just a few feet away and you don't have to be alone all the time. I guess I've spent so much time out of my flat that I haven't really made friends with the people I live with (except for one girl, because we have a class together). I've realized how much I'm looking forward to living in a suite with friends next semester back at home. This is nice for what it is, but I wouldn't want it to be a permanent set-up. I'm not the live alone type.

Oh! And before I forget, my friend Shauna and I got tickets to see Joshua Radin in concert in March!! I am so excited. As Emily can attest, his new CD is pretty much all I listened to for the first half of junior year.

I know that I'm in what the study abroad office called the "honeymoon phase" with Glasgow. I'm trying to keep it to a minimum in these posts and stick to being informative, I promise. (Next thing you know, I'll be posting poetry and songs I've written. Shudder.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Fridays also. My love hate relationship is golf. Usually it's "hate" but still keep trying to teach this old dog a new trick.Poppy

Anonymous said...

Missed this post until today. Did you see Poppy's earlier comment about the Taylor plaid? You may be more Scot than we thought! Glad you haven't totally defected to Scotland, though!

Mom

sweatervest said...

um, seriously, and for shiz, two room double is awesome. i too have experienced the loneliness of a single, because mallory... was never there. it was sad. i want you back. also, i PROMISE, email is coming, like right now, like THIS INSTANT.

(okay ten minutes. BUT SO SOON.)

(ALSO I LIKE SHOUTING IN CAPS.)

(sorry.)