Friday, January 2, 2009

Why I'm Not Where You Are

I don't know what to do with a blog, really. I don't know if this will be particularly interesting, or if I'll even remember to update often enough for it to be worth it. But since I'm terrible at keeping in touch with people when I'm not with them, I suppose it's worth a shot. Also, blogging is the new journaling, and it's the emo/hipster thing to do (Jessie).

Anyway, I'm heading off on Tuesday to spend the spring semester at the University of Glasgow in Glasgow, Scotland. Why Scotland? I honestly don't have a clue. "It sounded nice" sounds like a lame response, and I have no real ties to the place, other than that my mom's family is vaguely Scottish, and maybe my dad's as well (?). Maybe I've always romanticized Scotland, because it's where all the redheads come from. Glasgow is the biggest city in Scotland and the University is the fourth oldest in the whole UK, so that's pretty cool. But that's not really why I'm going there, either. I guess I'm just looking for something different from my small town life and my smaller town college. I've always been a bit terrified of cities, but I think 20 years in small towns makes you more ready for big ones (and hopefully a few semesters of rugby makes you more ready to resist mugging).

But I'll miss you all, natch.

Less than a week left at home, and I've spent the whole day figuring out what I've forgotten to do in the past few months and dealing with insurance bureaucracy. I only have contacts enough for 2 more weeks. Whoops. The insurance company must think I'm some sort of birth control junkie. Why else would it be so difficult to get my prescription filled? Lame.

So friends, family, secret admirers, fellow travelers, and anonymous stalkers (creepers), the fabulousness will begin in about 5 days, and hopefully the wonderfully amusing and action filled posts will do so as well. If you're abroad as well, send me your address so I may sleep on your floor.

1 comment:

aves said...

gracie girl. i am glad this exists, and will obvi be watching it with a passion inspired by my missing of you a lot. hope your first few days in the land of scot have been delightful! xoxo avery